In my never ending pursuit for good eats that are healthy as well as tasty, I am blessed to have group members who willingly share their favorite family recipes. Even as I get to benefit from sampling their creations, I enjoy sharing them with you all, too.
The only thing better than sharing recipes with you is GETTING recipes from you – send your favorites to me HERE and watch for them in this blog.
I have three great recipes today, the first two are vegetarian, the last isn’t:
1) LINDA’S VEGGIE FAJITAS
[Linda says: “This was a hit ………my husband had never ate fajitas w/out meat but he came back for seconds and suggested it the next night!”
- 1 pkg fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 hot house tomatoes, wedged
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced or sliced
- (if you like to add spicy flavor add 1/3 pkg of fajita seasoning stir fry in a wok or skillet with veg or olive oil,making sure to add tomatoes last!)
Heat up your tortillas and add fresh salsa, salsa, humus, or jalapeños to your taste preference!
2) CEBORN and VERL’S POTATO SOUP
[Ceborn and Verl say: “God Bless and have fun with these.”]
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 leeks, chopped, (Only the body not the leaf)
- 1 onion, chopped, (About a baseball size)
- 3 rib celery, sliced (if you use the prepared ones) 2 regular size
- 4 bouillon cubes (pref vegetable, but could use animal)
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 5 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- Pepper to taste (I shook it about 5 to 6 times)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- Combine all ingredients except milk in slow cooker
- Cover, Cook on Low 10-12 hours, or High 3-4 hours. Stir in milk during last hour. I did it the slow way to let everything come together.
- If desired, mash potatoes before serving.
- Garnish with Garnish with: Chopped chives, Imitation Bacon bits, Shredded Cheese
3) CEBORN and VERL’S TAMALE PIE
[NOTE: veggie substitutions added by me]
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups of milk [soy, rice, almond, or coconut]
- 1 egg, beaten [1 1/2 Tbsp Nayonaise]
- 1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained [1 pkg Boca burgers or other meat substitute]
- 1 envelope dry chili seasoning mix
- 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 16-oz. can corn, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese [soy cheese]
- Combine cornmeal, milk, and egg.
- Stir in meat, chili seasoning mix, tomatoes, and corn until well blended. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Hight 1 hour, then on Low 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cook another 5 minutes until cheese is meltled.