How much of the stress and tension in your home and relationships could be removed or lessened if you could just simplify your world? If every task didn’t involve a dozen other tasks to accomplish? If you could just do something without an hour’s preparation?
I’ll bet many of your disputes are started or made worse by the stress you have to carry around with you all day long. Well here is a lovely list I found for you at one of my favorite blogs, Zen Family Habits. I’m sharing it with you in hopes you might find a little less stress and a little more time to connect with your family. I’ve emphasized a few that I think are especially pertinent for stepfamilies. Enjoy!
43 Simple Ways To Simplify Your Life
Simplicity. How can we make things simpler, more streamlined, or more efficient? Is this all just hype or is there actually something to this simplicity thing?
Reducing complexity in my life has reduced stress, increased free time, and top priorities are actually top priorities. When we simplify as much as we can we are better able to slow down and enjoy each moment as opposed to rushing through it. Here are a few ways you can simplify the various aspects of your life:
1. Turn off your cell phone.
2. Process email only twice a day.
3. Go to bed early.
4. Get rid of (or at least reduce) commitments that you do out of obligation.
5. Create a weekly meal plan.
6. Automate your finances.
7. Purge as much unneeded clutter as possible.
8. Keep your paper shredder on top of your recycling bin.
9. Add items you want to a wish list as you think of them.
10. Get a label maker or write labels out by hand.
11. Set your clothes out for the next day the night before.
12. Make your lunch for the next day the night before.
13. Make time to catch up with an old friend.
14. Just say no.
15. Ask for experiences not things for your birthday and Christmas this year. (love this one!)
16. Tell the truth.
17. Keep your list of addresses and phone numbers up to date.
18. Consolidate debt.
19. Create an organizing system that works for you.
20. Keep a bag for garbage in your car.
21. Carry a notebook and pen with you where ever you go.
22. Unsubscribe from emails, newsletters or RSS feeds that don’t provide value anymore.
24. Enjoy the present moment as much as you can.
25. Take time to really see the little things in life.
26. Reduce the amount of TV you watch.
27. Get outside.
28. Create morning, daytime, and evening routines.
29. Ask for help.
30. Do things at home as much as possible (eat, date nights, entertain etc.).
32. Let go of the self-imposed need to be perfect.
33. Focus on a simple, but healthy, eating plan.
34. Share responsibilities.
35. Reduce your wardrobe to a few versatile items.
36. Be positive.
38. Finish old tasks before taking on new ones.
39. For every new item that enters your home set two free.
40. Want what you have not what you don’t.
41. Revisit what you carry with you in your purse or wallet.
43. Store new garbage bags at the bottom of your garbage can.
Nice list, huh? This will only help you if you apply it. For more tips on creating a happier, more fulfilling family life, contact me about family coaching. I’ll be happy to help you design your own perfection plan!
STEPcoach Bob Collins